DIY Hair Remedies
By now, you probably have realized I like going for natural things as much as possible. It's not always easy but it's worth it.
Photo by Sing Chan
Tips on How to Take Care of Your Hair
- Don't shampoo everyday. I know some of you will find that disgusting but it's the other way around. Shampooing everyday is disgusting. Remember that your shampoo is made of chemicals and as brilliant as humans are, we have never really perfected the art of mixing ingredients without side effects. Use it everyday and you are damaging your scalp.
- Avoid using anything that uses heat to style or dry your hair like hair dryer and hair iron.
- Trim every month.
- Avoid using any kind of hair products as much as possible.
- Use soft brush to comb your hair.
DIY Hair Remedies
I squeeze the sap out of the leaf and just put it on my hair. It cleans the scalp and makes the strands thicker and stronger. I do this once a week. I don't shampoo everyday, so I do this on days when I don't shampoo. I just make sure I rinse well.
Homemade Coconut Oil
I fry the coconut flakes. The coconut flakes with produce it's own oil so when i put it on the pan, I don't put cooking oil. I fry for about ten minutes or until I feel I got all the oil out. It takes several minutes before the oil starts coming out. It will produce enough oil for more than ten uses, depending on how much you will apply.
I put oil once a week. I keep it there for an hour before shampooing. I have to shampoo twice (once a day) to take all the oil out. It make the strands shiny and stronger.
I mix 1 tablespoon baking soda and 1 cup of water. I sometimes add oil like lavander or chamomile but it's really just to make it smell better. I use an old shampoo bottle and that is it. That's my shampoo.
Visit Amazon for essetial oils with as much as 75% discount.
I use manufactured shampoo when I apply coconut oil into my hair because the oil won't easily come off. On other days, I just use the DIY shampoo.
DIY ConditionerI mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 cup water. I massage my hair and then rinse.
I use one sheet. I put soak it in water with calamansi juice over night. That's what I use as shampoo.
Other DIY Hair Remedies for Other Conditions
- For Oily hair - combine 2 egg yolks with 2 tsp lemon juice or vinegar in a bottle and shake it well. Apply to your hair and leave it there for about three minutes. The egg yolk will take the oil away.
- For Frizzy hair - mash an avocado and mix it with lemon juice. Apply it to your hair and leave it for five minutes before rinsing.